Melon, Smoked Chicken and Pasta jars
Inspired by Disney's locally produced live action show Disney's Cookabout - we are sharing with you some of their healthy and oh-so delicious recipes that were featured on the recent season of the show. The cooking show sees kids learn where our food comes from, visiting farms around the country before heading back to the kitchen to learn to cook with the ingredients.
- 80 g fusilli pasta raw weight
- 5 ml olive oil
- 80 g asparagus spears
- 200 g smoked chicken fillets cut into thin slices
- 100 g peeled seeded sweet melon, cubed
- 100 g peeled seeded green melon, cubed
- 60 g baby cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 cooked corn on the cob
- 60 g red pepper cut into thin strips
- mixed micro herbs for garnish
LIME YOGHURT DRESSING
- 80 ml low fat yoghurt
- 80 ml soured cream
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 20 ml olive oil
- 10 ml lime juice
- Zest of ½ lime
- 15 ml chopped mint
- Bring 500 ml of water to the boil on high heat, add the pasta and cook for about 5 minutes until cooked.
- Drain the pasta, stir through the olive oil and set aside to cool.
- Boil water in a kettle and pour some boiling water over the asparagus.
- Leave for two minutes and drain. Rinse the asparagus with cold water, drain and keep aside to cool.
- Mix together the sweet melon, green melon and the baby cucumber slices.
- Use a sharp knife and cut the corn kernels off the cob.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a small jug and blend with a stick blender until very smooth and well combined.
- Divide most of the dressing between two large consol/mason jars. Layer with the ingredients – starting with asparagus spears in the length, then the pasta followed by the chicken and the remaining ingredients.
- Finish with the rest of the dressing and some micro herbs.
- Seal with the lids until ready to serve. This is a perfect take-away meal for lunch or a picnic.
RECIPE: CHRISTINE CAPENDALE IMAGES: ANITA REED/DISNEY CHANNELS CREDIT: DISNEY CHANNEL