Honey roasted butternut and biltong quiche
This recipe was featured on season 2 of Disney's locally produced live action show Disney's Cookabout. This season had the contestants cooking dishes that drew inspiration from specially chosen ingredients and recreating delicious and healthy recipes from around the world. The contestants visited locations around Cape Town to discover where the food on our tables come from. In this episode they visited Skaapland in Durbanville, where they were taught different spice flavours and combinations to use, as well as the difference between available cuts of meat.
- 3 sheets phyllo pastry
- olive oil spray
- 80 ml cooked caramelized onion
- 300 g honey roasted butternut wedges
- 80 g crumbled feta cheese
- 80 ml low fat sour cream
- 1 egg
- 80 g thinly sliced biltong use lean biltong
- fresh basil for serving
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Lay a sheet of phyllo pastry on the work surface. Spray with olive oil, top with 2nd sheet and spray with olive oil. Do the same with 3rd sheet of phyllo pastry.
- Cut the layered sheets in half and place on top of one another.
- Line a greased rectangular quiche dish with the pastry sheets – cut off any excess pastry with scissors.
- Mix the egg and soured cream together and spread on the pastry. Top with caramelized onion, butternut and the feta cheese.
- Bake in oven for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, cool slightly and top with the biltong slices and fresh basil.
RECIPE: CHRISTINE CAPENDALE IMAGES: ANITA REED/ DISNEY CHANNEL CREDIT : DISNEY CHANNEL