Easy Homemade Sloppy Joes Recipe
Quick and easy homemade sloppy joes recipe from scratch with simple ingredients. This easy one pot meal and 30 minute dinner idea is classic comfort food.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tsp garlic Minced
- 1 Onion Small, finely chopped
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 8 Ounce Tomato Sauce
- 1/3 Cup Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt To taste
- Pepper To Taste
- 8 Hamburger Buns
- Heat oil in a large non-stick pan on medium heat.
- Add garlic onions and saute until golden brown.
- Add ground beef and cook until it's brown.
- Drain all the fat.
- Add tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Mix everything together. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To thicken it further, cook for a bit longer without the lid.
- Serve in hamburger buns and enjoy!
- Read all my notes and tips above.
- Leftovers (without the bun) can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Nutrition FactsEasy Homemade Sloppy Joes Recipe Amount Per Serving Calories 297Calories from Fat 117 % Daily Value* Total Fat 13g 20% Saturated Fat 4g 20% Cholesterol 40mg 13% Sodium 550mg 23% Potassium 370mg 11% Total Carbohydrates 29g 10% Dietary Fiber 1g 4% Sugars 8g Protein 14g 28% Vitamin A 3.5% Vitamin C 5.3% Calcium 9.5% Iron 17.1% * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Here are some TIPS for making easy sloppy joes from scratch:
- Make sure to FINELY dice the onions so that you don’t have big chunks of onions in your sandwiches.
- You must BROWN the beef first to really enhance the overall flavor.
- DON’T forget to drain excess fat.
- I like to use Dijon mustard but you can use whatever mustard you like or even ground mustard powder.
- The number of sandwiches you get from this recipe will depend on the SIZE of your hamburger buns.
- For sloppy joe recipe (slow cooker), just dump all the ingredients in a crockpot and cook on high for 3 hours.
- LEFTOVERS (without the bun) can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
What can you add to sloppy joes?The classic recipe is shared below. However, you can also make homemade sloppy joes with :
- BBQ sauce
- Green peppers
- Bacon bits