BILTONG, DROËWORS, CHIVE AND CHEESE MUFFINS
This recipe was featured on season 2 of Disney's locally produced live action show Disney's Cookabout. This previous season had the contestants cooking dishes that drew inspiration from specially chosen ingredients and recreating delicious and healthy recipes from around the world. The contestants visited locations around Cape Town to discover where the food on our tables come from. On their visit to Skaapland in Durbanville, where they were taught different spice flavours and combinations to use, as well as the difference between available cuts of meat. Here, the cooktestants were put through their paces in a race to build a biltong box and make their own droëwors. RECIPE: CHRISTINE CAPENDALE IMAGES: ANITA REED/DISNEY CHANNELS Credit: Disney Channel©
- 150 ml whole wheat flour
- 50 ml oat bran
- 100 ml self-raising flour
- 5 ml baking powder
- 1 ml rosemary and garlic seasoning
- 60 g low fat grated cheddar cheese
- 10 ml chopped chives
- 30 g thinly sliced biltong use lean biltong
- 20 g chopped droëwors lean option
- 1 egg
- 200 ml buttermilk OR amasi
- 60 ml sunflower oil
- 60 ml crumbled feta cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix the whole wheat flour, oat bran, self-raising flour, baking powder, rosemary and garlic seasoning, grated cheddar cheese and chives together with a whisk.
- Mix well and then add the biltong and droëwors.
- Beat the egg, buttermilk and sunflower oil together. Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and mix very gently - do not over mix the batter.
- Spoon the batter into 6 lined muffin cups. Sprinkle the crumbled
- feta cheese over.
- Bake for about 15 to 18 minutes until cooked and golden brown.