ANCIENT GRAIN AND POMEGRANATE SALAD WITH CRISPY ONIONS AND FETA
Inspired by Disney's locally produced live action show Disney's Cookabout - we are sharing with you some of their healthy and oh-so delicious recipes that were featured on the recent season of the show. The cooking show sees kids learn where our food comes from, visiting farms around the country before heading back to the kitchen to learn to cook with the ingredients.
- 80 g bulgur wheat
- 80 g quinoa
- 400 ml water
- 150 g cooked drained chickpeas
- 100 g cooked drained lentils
- 50 ml chopped mint
- 50 ml chopped parsley
- Seeds of ½ pomegranate OR one small pomegranate
- Salt and black pepper for seasoning
- 30 ml pomegranate molasses
- 1 clove garliccrushed
- 15 ml Honey
- 30 ml Olive Oil
- Finely grated zest of ½ lemon
- 15 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 5 ml Dijon mustard or any mild mustard
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- ml TO SERVE: 60crispy onion rings or flakes
- 100 g feta cheese cubed
- Extra mint for garnish
- Add the bulgur wheat, quinoa and the water to a medium sized saucepan and bring to the boil on medium heat. Add some salt.
- Cook for 15 minutes with lid on the saucepan until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Spoon the cooked quinoa and bulgur wheat into a large bowl to cool down quickly.
- After a few minutes add the chickpeas, lentils, mint, parsley and the pomegranate seeds.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a small jug and mix well.
- Add the dressing and toss through the salad.
- Serve the salad topped with the crispy onion, feta cheese and some mint as garnish.
RECIPE: CHRISTINE CAPENDALE IMAGES: ANITA REED/DISNEY CHANNEL CREDIT: DISNEY CHANNEL